Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Deep Throat - Idaho Born and Bred

Watergate had a major effect on my interest in politics. I wasn't old enough during the actual scandal to process any of it, though I do recall my 5-year old TV time being interrupted by something called "Watergate". But I voraciously read books on the subject and was enthralled by "All the President's Men". What a great story - and it was all true! I then read Blind Ambition, John Dean's second book, and it was off to the races toward reading the many trees felled since to cover the topic.

So the fact that there was an Idaho connection - unarguably the most crucial part of the Watergate reporting - was a very cool thing. In this article Dan Popkey of the Idaho Statesman reflects on Deep Throat and talks to some major Idaho figures about the importance of Mark Felt. Regardless of party, they all share a respect for his patriotism and his decision to help the reporters uncover the corruption.

The fact that Pat Buchanan is foaming at the mouth to call Felt a traitor and a criminal only confirms my feelings that the former FBI agent - and Idaho native - did the right thing.

2 comments:

Taggart said...

Mike,you are disgustingly young! I was in college during watergate.

Mike said...

I'm 36, taggart, but I have the physical body of a 56 year old, so I've got that going for me.